Wednesday, June 5, 2013

There's an App For That

Let's face the facts. We live in a world where our phones are smarter than us. They know and can do pretty much everything. Except dance... yet. I did have Siri sing to me back when I had the iPhone 4S though. For the things our phones are not already programmed to do when we get them, there are apps. Apps to play games, watch movies, make movies, calculate exactly how much we should leave for a tip, read the news, put cheap looking filters on photos of our breakfast that we took with a decent 8MP camera... you get the point. So with so many apps out there, there's got to be a few useful for new moms.
Aside from the medical ones we mostly use to freak ourselves out like WebMD and iTriage (both available for iPhone and Android), a couple really stand out to me. Baby Center has two different apps one is for pregnancy, the other for after you give birth. The first is called "My Pregnancy Today." The second is called "My Baby Today." I like them because of the calendar section. There's something to read every day for your babies first year. About milestones, what's normal for you or your baby, activities to do, and an amusing post just to make you laugh once a week. The forums can be helpful, but be prepared to get attacked if your post or question is even the slightest bit controversial. I prefer to lurk the boards under a different screen name to read and occasionally comment on amusing stories. I believe both apps are available on iPhone and Android. And free!
Another that I only just recently discovered is the "Parenting: Ages & Stages" app. Good from pregnancy all the way through school. I love everything about this app. It's mostly articles that have to do with the age/stage your child is at. The blogs in the blog section are good. And there's a very convenient section that keeps you up to date on product recalls. It's my new favorite app. Also free and available for both iPhone and Android.
These are just a few that I've found useful lately. I love my smartphone and I love my baby, so I love these apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment